Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cesar Millan Needs to Pay a Visit

The challenge of training two puppies is an enormous one. We knew that going in but we didn't know what the issues would be. We couldn't ask for cuter, more lovable and loving dogs but they definitely come with their share of issues ( or are we creating those issues? ). From day one it was evident that these dogs are like night and day. Perhaps that should have been their names considering their colorings. Sophie is gregarious and initially started by being the alpha dog. That seems to be in question now because as we get to know them we see that Spencer has a sneaky side that loves to taunt Sophie and get her riled up. The most immediate training issue when we brought them home was potty training. It was evident that they had a more casual environment at the ranch where they were born. We needed to set ground rules from the get-go and so we focused on creating a schedule that they could count on. We got them to head towards a we-we pad inside at first and then we brought it out to the back yard so they would transfer their target outdoors. Spencer pretty much got it right away. We would be outside for hours with them waiting for Sophie to follow Spencer's lead to no avail. Finally we'd head back in and within five minutes Sophie would have gone. You can't say she's not been well trained. It would be a bull's eye if we painted a target on the we-we pad. In a disciplined manner she would wait ( and still does ) to go until she was inside thinking that's what she's supposed to do. What else can we do? I'm about ready to demonstrate myself that the back yard is the goal. Another issue is their sudden decision not to go for any sort of walk. It started out OK. We'd put on their harnesses which they didn't like but they tolerated it and they tentatively would walk around the block. We knew things would be new and there would be apprehension but one day Sophie dug in her heels and refused to go further than our front lawn. Eventually Spencer shadowed her behavior and now it's like pulling teeth to get them down the street. Once we reach the corner they know they're halfway home and they bolt. As small as they are it's a challenge not to get your arm pulled out of it's socket holding on to their leashes. Perhaps I should be grateful that they at least know where home is! We've now stopped trying. We know that's not good; it's not going to get any better that way but it's so laborious and seemingly ineffectual. The result is two wound up pups in the early evening when you'd like to wind down and relax a bit, perhaps watching a little television. I'm reading "Cesar's Way" now by Cesar Millan. According to Cesar all will be cured with the calm/assertive attitude I need to develop. Well, if I was working with a dog I didn't have to live with I'd be able to be calm/assertive. Instead I become a stress mess and as Cesar reminds me, my " energy" is quite detectable. We're being used. We're being manipulated. We have been trained to do their bidding ( those treats they love so much give me 30 seconds to think ). It's really us that needs obedience school. At least I wouldn't complain about wearing a harness.

1 comment:

Kazen @ Always Doing said...

Sounds like you have your hands full--but what fun the puppies must be! Congratulations! Thanks for the absolutely beautiful postcard you gave me--*I* had no idea one of our regulars was such a talented artist!