Wednesday, February 25, 2009
The Firehouse Project
I was just sitting here thinking how fortunate I've been always having something to do that brings me joy. Of course I would love to have that occupy my prime time slot but thank goodness I can look forward to it daily. The past six months have been especially rewarding as they have consisted of projects for the wallpaper company I now work for on a freelance basis. Each project has been more exciting than the next. My current project is complicated and extensive but all I have to do is look over at my drafting table and I get a rush. See, I'm so easy to entertain! It is a project that will be a dynamic addition to my portfolio. It consists of eight different papers for one room and is breathtaking. It is from a firehouse in Colorado that was built in the 1880's. It's amazing how an embellished design such as this was considered for a functionally intended space . There was such pride in anything built in those days. It didn't matter if it's use was utilitarian. Perhaps they took into consideration the amount of time their firemen spent there and aesthetics were a primary factor. I would think in those days there were men that called it home. I think it's wonderful that the importance of maintaining such jewels is recognized today. I actually feel honored to have a hand in this historical venture. The paper is Anglo Japanese. It has an Arts and Crafts feel and despite the imagery ( birds and flowers ) having a Japanese slant it feels very American. The colors are rich and subtle - gold, oxblood, army green, plum, taupe and putty are the primary colors. What a wonderful experience it would be to visit this firehouse when the restoration is complete!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you should post some pictures of this so we have a nice visual!
Post a Comment