Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Have Some Faith

Wow...that's a big one. Having faith. It's hard for me to trust my judgement sometimes. I have a history of believing in myself and taking a risk and having it bite me in the butt later. I've become risk shy and so conservative when it comes to making a change or taking a chance. Where has that gotten me? Well, no steps back but not many forward, either. Is that really a life worth living? Well, After much deliberation Mark and I have signed on to participate in what I think is a once in a lifetime event. We've been invited to join a group of substantial size that will be embarking on an amazing journey. In the twenties, an opera was performed in Monaco and then went on a brief tour. It has not been performed since. A few members of this group thought it would be wonderful to recreate the opera and have a single performance where it was originally performed. Those involved in bringing it back to life have been working on it for two years and are now in rehearsal. Mark and I have agreed to assist in the making of the headdresses that coordinate with the costumes that are being created. The trip even without the opera element is something I've dreamed about. We start by flying into Rome, spend the night and take a shuttle the next day for a two hour ride to a fortressed village called Gargonza which is near Monte San Savino in Tuscany. We will spend four days there, culminating in a dress rehearsal performed at the local opera house. This location is the only place that has ever been revisited by this group and the hosts will be entertaining us. I believe the mayor of the town is throwing us a party as well. When we leave Gargonza we then board the Windstar, a sailing vessel that this group has taken over and booked an amazing all-inclusive package. We will visit both the Italian and French Rivieras where we end up in Monte Carlo and spend two nights; one of which will be the performance. There will then be a post performance party for us. Mark and I have been to Monaco and we have very special memories so it will be amazing to be back.
When we were first invited we couldn't believe our eyes when we scanned the itinery. It ws quickly tempered with the reality of today's economy and my unsettled position at the store. Many layoffs were brewing and I couldn't commit to a trip of this magnitude without the assurance that I will continue to be employed. So far, so good. I'm leaving it up to the Gods once again, abandoning my fear and my tendency to crave the safe place. I have a substancial list of regrets and I may be adding to that list soon but one thing I won't be doing is vicariously experiencing this trip. Bonvoyage, sideliner!

No comments: