Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Swarovski Fever

Not that I choose to deny or ignore it but I rarely discuss my day job in this venue. It is the majority of my day and I suppose it should be proportionately represented. It is my primary income but truth be told does not tantalize my interests as do my artful pursuits. It does, however have the occasional perk. As far as retail goes, holidays are minimally reflected yet this year there was a nice surprise. I entered the elevator one morning and was startled at the most beautiful display of snowflakes on the window made up entirely of Swarovski crystals! It was dazzling and mesmerizing and as I rose from floor to floor it would change as it was effected by shafts of occasional sunlight. It was something I enjoyed the entire holiday season. I should have tempered my enthusiasm. As all things must pass so do the holidays and so the snowflakes lost their usefulness. I never considered what their fate would be, only enjoying their current formations. Life sometimes has a way of harshly introducing you to what is next. There was no warning... like finding out in a note that your lover is moving on when you thought things were great. One morning I entered the elevator to find my glittering friends gone! Well, unfortunately not entirely gone. Remnants tormentingly lay embedded in the carpet of the elevator. It reminded me of when you notice a contented cat near a single feather. It would have been easier to accept if there was no trace. Perhaps they escaped, seeking colder weather. I would have wished them well, as I would have wanted the best for them. I was unprepared for the display person with the vacuum. While distracting herI hastily began to pick up what I could. I expressed my disappointment that I hadn't known in advance of their need to remove them. I would have happily helped. That way I could have saved them. I would have been gentle about it ( how dare they use a putty knife! ). As I saved what I could I realized I'm able to extend their lives; offer a useful transition to a new purpose. My greeting cards! I can use them to embellish my greeting cards! I can now share the joy I experienced with hundreds! I needed to act fast. I spent the next hour on my hands and knees picking up what I could, barely conscious what a spectacle I would be to others as the doors would open on various floors. I didn't care. I had a mission. Art reigns. Screw non creatives! How could they understand my passion? I may not adopt third world children to save the world, but I embellish, damn it! I mentioned to someone else in display that I wish I'd known. She said "oh, that's too bad! I just threw out hundreds of them!" I'm not below rifling through garbage for what I need. I insisted on knowing where they were discarded. She told me that she threw them out in her office. I left her mid sentence to rush downstairs. I calmly peered into a trash receptacle near the entrance to her office...nothing. A perfectly new liner had recently replaced what I believe would have been a treasure chest. My head reeled with the ramifications. Must I try to see if they've been crushed in the compactor? Before I headed there I wisely thought to check one more place. Inside the room stood one more can. I timidly walked over and looked in and there sat an upright bag perfectly preserving my jewels as if it was waiting for me to find it. Barely able to contain myself I retrieved it and made my exit. I took them to my office and painstakingly separated them. They are now home with me where they belong; waiting to share their dazzle once again.

No comments: