Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Creative Process

For months now I have had an idea for a completely new collection of work. It has been fermenting in me for a very long time and I have had no opportunity to let it manifest itself into reality. I had previously written about how I was determined to protect a body of time that I thought was vital in starting this creative process. I failed at saving that time...or did I? That time, in fact, was used to fulfill my greeting card orders. My greeting cards were started many years ago as an avenue of promoting my watercolors. I thought that it would be a good way to let others know I exist as an artist and here's what I can do. It has developed into a nice sideline and it keeps me quite busy during the holidays. I am about to work with my art coach to see how I can make it profitable year round and start attracting retail interest. Pardon my digression; I was talking about my creative process. If the cards turn out to be worthy of further time investment, that's wonderful but not at the sacrifice of moving forward with new ideas that I must explore.
It's been a very long time since I've had a major show although there have been a few galleries that on a one time basis hosted a show for me. Here's an opportunity for change. I want to create a new collection that is totally unexpected. There's danger in this. I have collectors that like what I do for a reason and to change that may threaten their continued interest. On the other hand there may be potential interest from others not as fond of what I currently do. I've learned long ago not to try and please everyone. It is impossible to do so and not even a desirable thing because I believe that in order to please everyone, a concept would have to be watered down and an edge is lost. So, the new collection. I have a cohesive concept, not a collection of paintings that simply have the common bond of being watercolor, or floral, or whatever. I have a theme! Who knew I was capable of it! I intend on allowing myself to venture out of the box and my comfort level and explore thoughts in a variety of mediums ( this is huge for me as I have primarily worked in watercolor for so many years ). I will also allow my exposure to textile design to seep into my fine art for a new, somewhat contemporary edge. I better not say anything more as I may hate the results - suffice it to say that all this excites me which is a very necessary component.
I'm awed at the prospect that you have actually read through my entire creative process drivel. Congratulations! You've proven to have the stamina it will take should you be waiting to be invited to the opening!

No comments: