Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I guess I need some press

As an artist one would think that the primary concern would be developing one's talent, skill and creativity. That, I'm learning, is just the beginning. In order to achieve some sort of success an artist needs to be confident, vocal and assertive; attributes I'm not particularly known for. I would love to be able to stay in my studio and paint 24/7 without the prospect of having to actually sell the work so I can continue the process. Not gonna happen. Being a salesperson of one's own art is using a different side of my brain then what I use to create the art...the less developed side, in my case. Thank goodness I feel good about what I create so that's not the issue but talking about me...ugh, it's painful. I look back on all the years I've spent creating artwork and fortunately I have people that support me and I'm able to have commissionwork on a fairly consistent basis but no one else knows I exist. It's time to change that. Enter the art coach. Toby is wonderful but scary as she is turning upside down the way I think and do things . One thing I've never had is any kind of press and although it was never a conscious decision to avoid it that's exactly what I've done. I try to keep every pearl of wisdom that Toby doles out with me. Last Friday night I was at a Christmas party in Woodside and someone I haven't seen for years was there. She is a retired journalist. I thought that it would be a good idea to ask for a bit of advise. I got my nerve up and asked her if she had any thoughts for someone that has never done an interview or had any press. What I didn't know that I learned that night is that she now freelances for several magazines. She suggested doing a story on me ( she knows my work) and pitching it to a few people. Cue the insecurities - time to worry about whether people would want to read about me. Am I interesting enough? I have no "colorful" and "engaging" personality that other artists have to draw people to them. I just have my talent and I hope that will speak for itself. I won't shy away from it this time and hopefully I'll get through it and some good will come of it. Maybe I'll tell her that I paint with my toes or something.

No comments: