Sunday, November 11, 2007

Andrea Marcovicci InTown? Where Should I Hide?

Recently a friend of mine came up to me and asked "aren't you a big fan of Andrea Marcovicci's"?. I was shocked that I let anybody know that but I acknowledged that I was. She went on to tell me that she's been cast for a play or something that is to open next spring. I went cold. Emotions such as elation, anxiety and embarrassment flooded all my senses at once. Unfortunately my very selective memory has allowed every bit of what caused those emotions to stay with me. I'd done a good job of packing those memories up in a tight little box and labeling it "do not open - proof of foolishness enclosed". In my quest for my authentic self I will now reveal the cause of such angst.
I had to see Andrea in person. I remember her bit parts and cameos on TV and remembered hearing she evolved into a singing career and I was always drawn to her as a performer. She was performing at the Plush room in San Francisco. I had to go and I took my partner, Mark to, I think, opening night. The Plush room is intimate; small tables for two near the stage meant for cocktails during performances. One feels rather conspicuous sitting at one. It turns out the songs were love songs. Great...I'm sitting with a guy ( I'm gay but I have limits ) and she's singing love ballads. There was a particular song that she sang and she would focus on a pair at a table as she sang. Please don't come to our table! Please! Not only did she but it was the most sensitive part of the song. I didn't know what to do with myself. I grabbed my drink and reached for the straws to take a sip and the next thing I know the pair of straws went up my nose and stayed there as I pulled the glass away! She looked aghast mid-sentence and immediately moved to the next table. I was mortified and Mark wanted to put his coat over his head. I licked my wounds for days after. At the time I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue in the Men's Furnishings department. There was one day that I was rushing to work. I barely had time to shower and look somewhat presentable. I forgot to brush my teeth and put on deodorant. Not at all like me, just so you know. I consciously tried to help as few customers as possible yet it was fairly busy and I had no choice. I'm straightening the ties and happen to look up and who's coming my way...Miss Marcovicci! Run! Hide by the freight elevator. The doors had windows so I was able to monitor her actions. I couldn't possibly help her! She'd remember! Oh no! No deodorant and I began to sweat out of sheer anxiety. She was standing at the tie counter and no one was approaching her. I had no choice. I put a stick of Juicyfruit in my mouth and went out there. I asked her if I could assist her. There were a few ties she wanted to look at. If I looked familiar she was gracious enough not to acknowledge it. I was afraid to stand too closely, fearing the dampness under my arms would be offensive so I pulled each tie out and flung them on the counter with a slap ( didn't mean to ). She looked at me suspiciously but maintained her politeness. She asked me a question and as I went to answer her MY GUM flew out of my mouth but no, not entirely. Part of it stuck to my lower lip and as I spoke it would bounce on my chin. It happened so fast; I tried to scoop it back in with my tongue but kept missing . I had to peel it off with her inches away looking at me like I was an alien from space. She stared, shook her head and gave a hearty laugh and walked away.
It doesn't end there. Still performing at the Plush room and with time on her hands during the day she came in again the following week. As luck would have it I was the only one on the floor and once again was obliged to help her. What are the chances she'd forgotten? Could it be possible? If she remembered she didn't let on. I was the best smelling guy in San Francisco for months after the "incident" so perhaps she would think twice about me being the fool she had last week as a salesperson. She wanted to know if we had black turtlenecks. I told her that we'd sold out but I was recently at Macy's and saw some there. As she was leaving the department she walked by AN ENTIRE RACK of black turtlenecks. She took one by the hanger, waved it in the air and said " WHAT THE HELL IS THIS"?!. To this day I'm shocked an ambulance or at least paramedics weren't required. My knees buckled and the counter was the only thing preventing me from crumbling to the floor.
So, who wants to go with me next spring?

3 comments:

Carrie Williams said...

LOVED this post. Peed in my pants laughing (which isn't hard, since I've borne two children...but STILL!!). I'm your date for Andrea...but can I borrow Suzanna's hat?

XO
Carrie

TXP said...

Now, that was very funny! So funny that I emailed a copy to my friend "Andrea Marcovicci". So don't be surprised if you hear from her directly. She also thought this story to be very funny!
Believe me I know how you felt at the show (soooo nervous!) and feeling like everything you were doing was all wrong. If you think about it, it's really very comical.
That's exactly how I felt when I first saw her at the Plush Room.
That was 18 years ago!
T

TXP said...

I received this email from Andrea' Marcovicci, I think that it speaks for it self. Tricia

just tell him i read it and laughed out loud, that i hope i wasn't rude
about the turtle necks all those years ago and that when he comes to
see COCO, he should introduce himself!
love, andrea