Wednesday, October 17, 2007

This Starving Artist Thing Is Getting Old

Ok, success...I'm waiting! Hey, over here. Can't you see me? Well, I do feel invisible sometimes. I'm a damn good artist but I suck at self promotion. To be struggling after having produced good work throughout my lifetime seems so twisted. It's war now, baby. I've pulled out the guns and hired an art mentor, an art coach if you will. I don't know how I feel about paying someone to highlight my flaws when I've always gotten that for free but I'm going for it anyway.
I've got a retail job that barely helps me make it week to week and has somehow turned into my career after all these years when it was meant to supplement my artistic pursuits. I've avoided any management position or any promotion to maintain a situation where I had little responsibility so I'd have the energy to go home and be creative. Vicious circle, guys. Gotta have the job to support the habit but the job ( including nasty commute ) takes away the body of time I need to create enough to make a dent. I know, you've heard this story a million times. ART FOR SALE! ART FOR SALE! ( my stab at self promotion ).

1 comment:

Carrie Williams said...

I want to see a blog about how you get inspired to create art! Keep the humor and insights coming!