Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Honestly, at my age!

There's something to be said about working in an office where everyone is half your age. You are exposed to what is current and hip ( is the word "hip" current? ) and if you can wade through some silliness there are occasional jewels of wisdom and a unique perspective of life that gets lost when one reaches my age. To add to that my office is entirely female so I'm well aware on a daily basis what Britney is up to ( is she really still trying to drive herself! ) and how so and so is wasting away to nothing. I believe that my exposure to all this effects my art in a positive way ( keepin' it fresh! ). Having said that, I'm not in my twenties...not at all attractive to act like it but I do like hanging out with Suzanna. She gets me on many levels and I'm energized around her. Last week I had a day that I stayed in the city after work. I had time to kill before I was to join a group of friends and Suzanna was waiting for someone to get off work so we decided to spend some time in Union Square. I had a mission and she was more than willing to accompany me. I wanted a hat. I do not have a pretty head so hats are generally not great on me but I was determined to find one that would do me justice. Off we went to Macy's where I had previously seen a few that potentially could be OK. Right away I noticed the hat I'd been thinking about was gone so we looked at everything. Suzanna noticed a cap that she thought looked good and I tried it on. I have caps. I need a hat. It looked good on me, we both agreed. "You know what" she said, "I think I'm going to get this for Chris" ( a guy she's seeing ). I had to have the cap. I could not allow anyone else to own it. That cap was validated by someone in an age category that knows what's current...what's cool! Who would have thought that I'd be in competition over an article of clothing with someone half my age and the opposite sex to boot! How dare she consider buying this! It was meant for her to find it for me. How do I do this? Well, I got lucky. She spotted the perfect hat for her! I sheepishly encouraged her to try it on and it was perfect for her. "How could you rationalize buying both" I told her. You can't put your hat back. It shows off your features. You look hot in it! Sold. I got my cap and we're very happy together.
Thanks Suzanna. I know you know what I was up to. Love you for it. Mean it. Honestly, at my age!

No comments: