As I'm writing this I'm doing something I swore I'd never do. Earphones are in place and the music on my ipod is on. This is something I've been vehement about. One of those pet peeves that you dare not share with people because the chances are slim you'd find someone else that feels the same way you do so you keep it to yourself. To me personal listening devises represented a withdrawl from society when we're already more disconnected from one another more than ever before. I'd want to ask a question or just say hello to someone at work and they couldn't hear me. Just wearing the earphones sends a message - "not so interested in what you have to say" and "I prefer my own choice of noise". OMG, I get it now. I used my ipod for the first time in public this morning. I do the casual carpool to work and I got into the car of someone I know but there was someone in the front seat that seemed to be entertaining the driver so I went ahead and tuned out. I vaguely heard "blah, blah - no shit! blah blah - that stupid driver - blah blah". I'm saved. A beautiful world of my own creation now exists for me and me alone. Let the world collapse around me - I don't care. Bobby Caldwell, Vanessa Williams, Sergio Mendez and Michael Buble' are talking to me right now. Whatever you need will have to wait. I'm assuming the guy with the sign is asking me for change. Oh well. I'll nod to the barristo at Starbucks. He knows my coffee drink by heart, anyway. Concerns about hearing traffic? I'm a pedestrian. I have the right of way. Chances are the drivers will respect that fact and not make me interrupt a song I previously rated 5 stars on itunes , therefore becoming ipodworthy.
Who's responsible for this 180 in attitude? Why, Liz is. Liz...one of my favorite coworkers. She's moving back home to pursue her teaching career ( thank God she's seen the light ). In an unprecedented act of thoughtfulness she gifted me with this little miracle the size of a pack of gum. She knew I'd recently discovered itunes and was enjoying putting all my music on it. She wanted me to know that she enjoyed working with me. It was truly a touching gesture and typical of Liz to be responsible in yet another way of showing this technologically challenged guy the way of the world. Liz, I will truly miss you and think of you every time I use it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
There's a party in my head!!!
Post a Comment